UCO formerly known as United Commercial Bank, incorporated on January 6, 1943. It was the vision of Mr. G.D Birla to form a truly Indian Bank that came true after the 'Quit India' movement. The bank is based in Calcutta.
It was nationalized in the year 1969 and 100% of the property was taken by the Government in the bank. After this large amount of changes took over banking activities, such as began its branch expansion at a rapid pace, especially in rural areas and also went through the restructuring of the organization. This resulted in functional specialization and decentralization of administration.
In 1985 the name of the bank was changed to UCO Bank. It currently has a network of more than 2000 branches, more than 370 ATMs and 35 regional offices throughout the country, as well as in Singapore and Hong Kong.